Wednesday, March 21, 2007

John Milton: Man of genius

Recently I read Paradise Lost, Lycidas, and Samson Agonistes. All fine works that I felt leveled my artistic senses. John Milton writes with such vigor and passion; the imagery is profound and the dialogue is succinct. Here is a brief synopsis of the largest,Paradise Lost

Paradise Lost
This poem is very long.. In fact its a book in itself with 12 chapters. I really got alot of enjoyment from reading the whole thing. The language was from the 17th century so there was some difficulty in reading but never the less I was able to grasp the ideas. The story is about the fall of Satan from heaven, the subsequent fall of man, and the hope for a new future. The book itself is influenced by the stories of the Bible but just adds to the dialogue and imagery without taking anything away from those stories itself. I don't want to necessarily describe every single event, i feel it would be in the best interest of threader to grasp it and take their own conclusion from it. So I implore you to read the poems of John Milton.

No comments: