Sunday, January 14, 2007

Concert Review: Neurosis, Red Sparowes, Grails

I came upon this show by accident. 3 days earlier I heard about the show through a Myspace bulletin through my friend Betty. It came at a coincidental time because I just started listening to Neurosis again. So I made plans with a couple people I know in Corona to go on a trip there. The night earlier I found out my car was leaking in the front. It wasn't too band and i was unsure if it was gas or not but I didn't want to risk that long drive. So I left a message telling the guy I was going with that we all had to take his car and to give me a call back as soon as possible. The next day I didnt get a reply but it said the message was read. Luckily before hand I left a bulletin about the Neurosis show and Betty replied asking if she can come along. I didn't know what was going on so we were discussing the situation. I didn't here from the guy so she opted that I come along with her to LA. So I made the drive to Fullerton, we went in her car and at 6:43 we were the first ones at the El Rey Theatre off Wilshire in LA.
2 hours or so later after standing in the Siberian weather we go inside and just feel the warmth. First band that played was Grails. Given that Neurosis was the headliner and they have alot of instrumentation int heir music, Grails was solely an instrumental band. They were very unique and played soothing, ambient style instrumentation. From time to time I went with Betty and Justin outside so I didn't absorb the whole experience.
Red Sparowes comes on stage and they reminded me alot of Neurosis but without the vocals. There was a projection right above the band of random images. Looking at the images I felt a sort of aura from the whole experience. The music and the visionary aspects provided a journey through the senses. I also noticed how the venue became increasingly crowded; the show was sold out a little bit earlier of Red Sparowes' set.
So then came the great Neurosis, their projection above them was circular as compared to the rectangular used by the previous band. I moved up to the front because I believe their is a better experience when you are closer to the band then standing towards the back. They played songs from all their different albums and I was well pleased because I only heard Through Silver and Blood. The band was succinct and precise; the projection added to alot of the feel. The projections were of a dark nature and it seemed like it involved the perilous emotions that exist in humans. My moment of neurotic glory is when they played Eye. Such an intense song.
When they ended there was this great warmth inside me that carried on throughout the night. After that me and Betty went back to Fullerton and then I went back to Corona. All in all it was a good show, good music, good visions, and why not...the quesadilla was bomb diggity! Fin.

No comments: